Vanceburg home damaged by fire

December 5, 2016
Firefighters work to contain a fire at a Vanceburg home on Monday. - Dennis Brown Photo

Firefighters work to contain a fire at a Vanceburg home on Monday. – Dennis Brown Photo

Firefighters were called to a Vanceburg home Monday evening when residents noticed flames in a wall near a wood heating stove.
Acting Vanceburg Fire Chief David “Pudge” Stafford said the fire was contained to the wall but did significant damage to the structure.
Stafford said the fire appears to have started from a wood burning stove in the front room of the Leroy Gilliam family at 190 Rowley Avenue in Vanceburg.
Stafford said the home suffered water and smoke damage in addition to the damage from the fire.
Firefighters from the Vanceburg, Black Oak and Lewis County fire departments responded to the call and remained on the scene for about 30 minutes.
Stafford said Gilliam had utilized a garden hose to spray water inside the wall until firefighters arrived.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire. Stafford said quick response by firefighters helped to contain the fire and keep it from spreading.
Gilliam said he and his family would be unable to stay in the structure until repairs are made and is looking for temporary housing.
Anyone who may be able to assist may contact Gilliam at 606-202-0714.

Further access is available to digital and full access subscribers only.
Log In Subscribe