Lewis County History
On the Railroad
Click on the thumbnail picture to see the larger photo.
||Railroad tunnel workers.
||This photo of a railroad crew taken
at Springdale in 1927 sent to us by Whit Wardell firstname.lastname@example.org
of Powell, Ohio. The only person that has been identified is Mr. Wardell's great
grandfather, John Cobb, in the left center with his arms around the others. We can see a
man in the background but apparently he was not a member of the crew. Is that a camp car
at the extreme right of the picture?
||A rare picture of an old K&F
locomotive as it is proceeding up the Lewis County side of the railroad at Deep Cut. This
was a mighty steep hill for this locomotive to climb.
||Deep Cut as it appears today.
||A group of railroad workers on a cart.
This picture shows that the depot faced the road that comes up from Route 8. Passengers
could disembark at the south end of the building next to the rail and walk on the porch to
the door. Mrs. Callihan identifies the men as, bottom row, Bob Thomas (maybe), second
unidentified, third is Clarence Doyle; second row, man standing with dark vest and tie is
Clarence Voiers and the tall man at right was probably Jack Stout. Others not
identified. (Photo provided by Doris Thomas Callihan.)
||Doris Mae Thomas Callihan at Carrs in
the 1930s. It can be seen that there were several buildings in close proximity. Mrs.
Callihan seems to be standing in a field across the gravel at the north end of the
depot. (Photo provided by Doris Thomas Callihan.)
||Carrs Depot (visit www.vanceburgdepot.com for more Lewis County
railroad history and photos!)
||The inscription on the back of the
photo says: "This tie yard stood on Third Street, just east of the present (1972) Sam
Johnson garage, up to Market Street. A spur of railroad track ran into it. Left to right:
Mr. Lewis; Mr. Shope; Mr. Lewis; James "Jim Crow" Qualls; another Mr. Lewis; the
man with the stick is unidentified; Simon Scott, and Uncle Charley Plummer. Standing
behind with the side porch of the present Denny Lykins [house] in the background is Jordan
Slack, the tie inspector. Taken about 1909-1910."
||The inscription on the back of this
picture says: "Building the C&O railroad." We have no clues as to the time
or the location. The original construction of the railroad was 1888. There are some
features that would put it in that era, but the clothing of the men appears later, so it
may have been 1913 when a second track was built. At the extreme left, beneath the man
sitting near the top of the ladder, there appears to be another track, which leads us to
think that it was more likely to have been taken about 1913. We cannot identify any of the
men. The equipment in the background is unknown to us. These were hard working men, but
among them there was a cheerful fellow who is sitting on the extreme left of those who are
seated, and he is smiling in contrast to the rest who are frowning and serious
||The men at left were the Extra Force
of the C&O R.R., taken August 9, 1948, at Garrison. The men are identified as follows:
Back row, left to right, Orville McGlothin, Grover Porter, Delbert Brown -- sub-boss; Mr.
Jones, Ernest Setters, George Hickle, Buck Baldwin, Brit Ratcliff, Sam Pollitt, Milt
Abrams, Richard Robertson, Goebel Bradford boss; middle row, John Conley, Mr.
Combs, Mr. Craig, Luther Parson, Jackie Riffe, Paul Cooper, Bob Thomas, John Howard, Rev.
Bruce Lunsford, Jess Jarrells; top row, Mr. Trailer (Traylor) cook; Mr. Bays, Mr.
Wright, Mr. Howard, Winford Dyer, James Caseman, Esham Collins, Bill Pollitt and Buster
||These men, most of them from Lewis
County, were the section crew on the C&O. This picture was taken at Lineville, Greenup
County, on April 11, 1949. They are: back row, left to right, Roy Pollitt, Earl Stapleton
boss; Jess Jarrells, Russell Howard, John Conley, Johnnie Howard, Ernest Setters,
Harry Cooper, Buster Goldenburg, Russell Bayless, Earl Lewis, Joe Bays, Willard Hughes,
Richard Robertson, and Esham Collins; middle row, "Wildhog" Craycraft, Vernon
Craycraft, Raymond Traylor, Glen Osborne, Tony Christy, George Hickle, Jackie Riffe, Ora
Faulkner, Curt McCleese, and Homer McCarty; front row, (first man unknown), Russell
Bivens, Winford Dyer, (unidentified), Mr. Harr, Bob Thomas, Sam Christy, Roy Clark, Ronald
Rigsby, and George Nelson.
||The photo at left, loaned to us by
Orville Chatman, of Black Oak shows C&O Railroad workers, at an unknown location,
taken about 1948 or 1949. Several of the men are not identified. All of the men are from
Lewis County. In the front row, left to right, Unidentified # 1, unidentified # 2, Curtis
McCleese, unidentified # 4 and # 5, Ike Potter, Tony Christy, George Hickle, unidentified
# 9, Jum Burriss, unidentified #12, and Charley Cassidy; middle row, unidentified # 1, #
2, # 3, Bruce Piatt, Robert Thomas, unidentified # 6, Bill Pollitt, and unidentified # 9;
back row, Richard Robinson, unidentified # 2, unidentified # 3, unidentified # 4,
unidentified #5, Winford Dyer, and unidentified #6, # 7, # 8, # 9, #10, #11, #12, Charley
Heater, unidentified # 14 and Bill Bivens. The surroundings appear to be the same as those
in the 1949 picture above taken at Lineville, Ky.
||Bill Tom Clark has provided us with two
photo postcards of old Concord. This one is downtown Concord sometime before 1911.
Questions or comments? E-mail Us:
Lewis County Herald ( email@example.com