Lewis County Herald
2001 News Archives
- December 25, 2001: Christmas Cops shop with 51 kids;
Phase I Committee OKs application; Accident injures one; Third soft drink machine found;
Photo Catch: Santa in two-wheeled open cart.
- December 18, 2001: Magistrates hear concerns on
sanitation routes; Lewis schools chosen for ARSI progam; VPD recovers soft drink machines;
Information sought on stolen purse; Photo Catch: makeshift weapons seized at jail.
- December 11, 2001: Local water projects to receive
funding; Council adopts goals and objectives; Chamber of Commerce elects three directors;
Accidents under investigation; Photo Catches: Meadowbrook fire, new roof at Hickle's Pool
Room, Presentation of Commercial Hotel deed, Handcrafted bar.
- December 4, 2001: Second defendant enters plea in Prater
murder case; Local law agencies get GPS units; Phase I committee OKs diversificaton
programs; Photo Catches: HealthNet helicopter, Kentucky League of Cities president visits
Vanceburg, Lewis County Girls Scouts seranade with Christmas carols, a motorized Noah's
- November 27, 2001: Accident takes life of Lewis County
man; Magistrates hear solid waste issues; Turkey Run continues; Council approves property
purchase; Photo Catches: City Christmas decorations, cement truck accident, Junior Caskey
retires from Tolleboro VFD.
- November 20, 2001: Charges expected in jail disturbance;
Rail crossings get upgrades; Plant Board lowers gas rates; School board accepts audit;
Photo Catches: State Treasurer visits Vanceburg, Dr. H.M. Bertram Jr. hosts book signing,
Accident on AA Highway at Rt. 989.
- November 13, 2001: LCHS hosts veterans ceremony; More
alleged burglars arrested; Doctor appeals suspension; Fire and accident in one day; Photo
Catch: new Vanceburg firefighters sworn in.
- November 6, 2001: Board suspends license of Garrison
physician; Thousands in property recovered after arrest; Accidents under investigation;
Reward increased in Quincy burglary.
- October 30, 2001: One pleads guilty in Prater case;
Arrests made in burglaries; Vanceburg Ready Mix sells assets; Photo Catch: setting a new
- October 23, 2001: School Board hears KATS tests results;
Teen injured in shooting incident; One injured in Sunday accidents; Photo Catches: Black
Oak Fire Department new truck, Moore & White Lumber Company burglary
- October 16, 2001: Plant board assets increase; Flood Buy
Out Program progressing; Police Report: VPD recovers trailer, Two arrested on contraband
charges, AA accident injures four; Photo Catch: city dresses up in harvest finery.
- October 9, 2001: Event hopes to reduce fatalities; Blitz
project this week; Council gives to national fund; Photo Catches: Barn mural and Harvest
- October 2, 2001: Tradition continues on Old Trace;
Patient records seized at Garrison clinic; Fair board meets; Photo Catch: patriotic sign
at Head of Grassy.
- September 24, 2001: Agricultural projects approved by
board; Three injured in accidents; Senate approves war bond amendment; Photo Catches:
Chamber gets grant, Charlotte Bilton Carver at WTC.
- September 18, 2001: One arrested in pharmacy robbery;
Board of Education hears complaint; Chamber of Commerce receives $16,000 grant; Ordinance
planned to regulate towers; Photo Catches: Carrie Taylor at business expo, Accident on
- September 11, 2001: Ohio woman dies in AA Highway
accident; School & Ag Fair opens; Craftsmen re-create bar for Columbus distributor;
Photo Catch: fire at grain silo.
- September 4, 2001: Noble's Pharmacy robbed at gunpoint;
TES students get lessons on safety; Howe Farm Supply burglarized.
- August 28, 2001: Lewis approved for federal assistance
after flooding; Sen. McConnell visits Coroplast; Library to get software update; Photo
Catches: Vanceburg Patrolman Mark Jordan gets plaque, Storm clouds pile up over Lewis
County, A raccoon caught in the act.
- August 21, 2001: Magistrates set 2002 tax rates; School
year off to good start; Country Market burglarized...again; Photo Catches: American
Waterways Wind Orchestra, Cutting tobacco.
- August 14, 2001: Council learns of $1 million grant;
Road flood damage estimated at $320,000; Industrial Authority has new members; Photo
Catches: CSX railcar and Depot, Dee and Angie Potter at Lewis County Farmers Market.
- August 7, 2001: Local leaders gather for summit; School
Fair board meets; Chamber Board meets; Photo Catch: traffic accident on Lexington Avenue.
- July 31, 2001: Storms pound Crooked Creek area;
Railroader celebrates 90 years; Vanceburg gets $5,000 funding; Photo Catches: Farmers
market in the rain; a wolf visits Vanceburg; Walkers at Relay for Life; Pen Pugh speaks at
- July 24, 2001: Body of missing man found; Applegate
honored at postal meeting; Garrison BP robbed at gunpoint; One hurt in accident; Photo
Catches: Installing a new floor, Tollesboro Lions Club pageant judges, Valley Schoolhouse
succumbs to the elements.
- July 17, 2001: Justice Center dedicated; Magisterial
districts go unchanged; Three charged in thefts; Duff named central office staffer;
Controversy brews with Electric Plant Board; Photo Catch: Concord fire.
- July 10, 2001: Depot opens to great enthusiasm; Justice
Center dedication Friday; High winds result in damage at Tollesboro; Council approves
increased benefits; Photo Catches: Betty Ripato gathering info for mapping program, Fixing
roof at Hickle's Pool Room building; Jail & Bail fundraiser.
- July 3, 2001: Depot grand opening on Saturday; Baker
named principal at LCMS; Rumors surround Justice Center and courthouse; Police Report: Two
charged in thefts, man charged with damaging truck.
- June 26, 2001: Plan likely "too good to be
true"; Past performance of Appalachian Fresh; Tobacco settlement forum held; Police
Report: Tollesboro man charged in burglary, thefts and accidents investigated; Photo
Catch: new transformers.
- June 19, 2001: Coroplast opens with great fanfare;
School raises approved; Appalachian Fresh considers Lewis, Fleming; Police Report: cruiser
damaged, hostage ordeal; Photo Catches: Father's Day car show and Black Oak VFD training.
- June 12, 2001: Justice Center officially opens; Council
hires planner for city; River Sweep Saturday; Police Report: Country market burglary;
Photo Catch: renovations at Laurel Elementary.
- June 5, 2001: Lykins explains fireworks laws; New
program at farmers market; Humane Society has first meeting; Police Report: Garrison auto
theft, accidents on Quicks Run and Route 8; Photo Catches: Early morning views of Ohio
River, Lloyd Spear at Masonic breakfast, Justice Center at night.
- May 29, 2001: Regional Expo planned in September;
Applegate receives statewide honor; Ribolt accident under investigation; Bill Lewis seeks
re-election; Photo Catch: Masons place wreath at Veterans' Memorial Park.
- May 22, 2001: Magistrates hear first reading of county
budget; Four hurt in Quicks Run accident; School Board approves expansions; Humane Society
organizes in Lewis County; Photo Catch: Red Eft.
- May 15, 2001: City Council hears first budget reading;
Plant Board approves $4.9 million budget; Click It or Ticket Campaign
May 21-June 3; Photo Catches: recovered car audio equipment, Northern Contours job
applicants, Repairs at AA Truck Stop, Fire at Hollinee Manufacturing.
- May 8, 2001: Stolen badge found on eBay; Economic
development team re-visits Lewis County; Kidwell and Brown recognized for sports
contributions; Photo Catches: AA motocycle accident, Fire destroys Brodrick's Tavern,
- May 1, 2001: Traffic slows for AA blitz; Little League
Opening Day May 5; Depot Committee meets; Photo Catches: Old and new Vanceburg police
patches, farm demonstration at Quincy.
- April 24, 2001: Watch your speed on the AA; New company
will accept applications; Police & Fire: ATV theft, Town Branch accident, Tollesboro
car fire, drug dog; Lewis County unemployment; Photo Catches: LCHS Champions, Dairy Queen
auction, Rosemary's garden, surprise snowfall.
- April 17, 2001: Steps underway to increase AA safety;
One dead following AA crash; Teen dies in off-road vehicle accident; Magistrates consider
road adoption, hear FEMA report; Photo Catch: rail spur at Coroplast.
- April 10, 2001: Businessman found guilty by jury; Radio
Auction raises more than $9,000; Laurel Elementary to get improvements; Fair Housing Month
- April 3, 2001: AA Highway safety meeting held; Gov.
Patton holds town meeting; Mineer found not guilty; Items thought stolen recovered; Photo
Catch: new tractor and boom mower for county.
- March 27, 2001: Vanceburg Lions Club radio auction;
Chamber meeting held; Governor Patton to visit Vanceburg; Police and fire reports:
Garrison burglary, Vanceburg car fire, One killed in AA accident; Photo Catch: new truck
for Vanceburg Street Department
- March 20, 2001: Fiscal Court OKs payments to railspur
contractors; Fire destroys beer; Plant Board discusses hearing; Middle School gets grant;
Vanceburg Depot update.
- March 13, 2001: Four now charged in Prater
robbery/murder; Council sets new speed limits; Chamber membership meeting March 22; County
Attorney says not to take "March Madness" literally.
- March 6, 2001: Cabinet factory will locate in bow
factory building; Indictments include two on charges of murder; Good oral health for
children important for many reasons; Photo catches: AA accident and crocus blooms.
- February 27, 2001: Officials concerned about dental
health of children, part II; Miss Maysville Area Crown goes to Tollesboro woman; Plummer
reports on trash and recycling; Arrest made following shoplifting incidents.
- February 20, 2001: Officials concerned about dental
health of children; Justice Center on schedule and on budget; Board cuts gas rates 20%;
Shoplifting incidents investigated; Photo Catches: Pouring concrete at Coroplast, and new
Happy Hollow Union Church.
- February 13, 2001: Meningitis prompts closure of
schools; City Council adopts curfew; Lewis County suspect caught in Hawaii; Photo Catch:
Family Fitness and Rehab Center.
- February 6, 2001: Sudden snow results in numerous
accidents; Officials dedicate site for multi-county water project; Burley tobacco quota
increased; Fire destroys Montgomery Road home.
- January 30, 2001: Board addresses gas rates; Lewis
County Fair Board meets; Three injured in auto accident; Fire destroys home; Photo
Catches: new entrance at LCHS, and Howe Farm Supply.
- January 23, 2001: Amanda Liles competes in state county
fair pageant; Vanceburg man charged after two vehicles stolen; Juvenile charged in theft
of pickup truck; Judge executive gives report; Photo Catches: winter scenes.
- January 16, 2001: Natural gas rates are main topic for
Plant Board; City Council welcomes new members; Industrial Authority hears plan update and
proposal; Flood buyout program one step closer.
- January 9, 2001: Fire destroys Garrison home; One
seriously injured in AA accident; Apparently stolen items recovered; Police Report:
burglaries & fire investigated, four-wheeler recovered.
- January 2, 2001: Winners named in door contest; Grant
awarded to Sheriff's Department; Police Report: Reward offered for burglary info, and One
arrested in vehicle theft; Photo Catches: Frozen Salt Lick Creek, and red sunrise in Lewis
Click here for Year 2000 archive list or use the search
|Search The Lewis County Herald news achives back to April 26, 2000. Type
in a keyword(s) and then click "Search".
Questions or comments? E-mail Us:
Lewis County Herald ( email@example.com )
This site developed and maintained by Paula Franke.
© Copyright 2001, Lewis County Herald Publishing Co., Inc.
The content of these pages is for the information of our visitors and may not be
reproduced without written permission. To request permission, contact Dennis Brown at 606-796-2331.