Lewis County Herald News Archives
(Back to Current Year Archive Listing)
- December 26, 2000: Two charged with murder plead not
guilty; 40 children will have a Christmas to remember; Sheriff advises to check on elderly
during cold spells; Photo Catch: JROTC cadets at Garrison Parade.
- December 19, 2000: Higher gas rates approved for
Vanceburg customers; Magistrates discuss bridge for Mead; Another inmate sets fire in
cell; Chamber of Commerce board officers named; Photo Catches: Christmas lights at Polley
home, AA Highway rollover accident, Giant snowman on Montgomery Road, Fly Branch bridge,
Garrison parade horse.
- December 12, 2000: Charges filed following collision
investigation; Numerous accidents the result of black ice; City council considers cable
franchise and curfews; Security company calls may be telephone scam; Police Report:
Arrests made in auto theft, Arrest made in Camp Dix burglary, Pop machine break-in.
- December 5, 2000: Second man charged in Prater death;
Governor Patton delivers more than $1 million in grants; Drug searches underway in Lewis
County schools; Garrison man killed in accident; Police & Fire Report: Inmate starts
fire in cell, stolen items recovered.
- November 28, 2000: School board hears audit results,
construction updates; Turkey Run about done; Loose horses result in early morning
accidents; Fire destroys Hazel Branch home; Laurel wins Lions Club Tournament.
- November 21, 2000: Magistrates hear road plans; More
accidents investigated; Update given on water project; First meeting set for Chamber of
Commerce; Photo Catch: more wild turkeys.
- November 14, 2000: Just over half of voters turn out;
Weekend accidents investigated; Coroplast official gives update on company; Police report:
Suspect arrested in Tollesboro burglaries, Black Oak burglary investigated, Arrest made
following pharmacy burglary; Photo Catch: veterans.
- November 7, 2000: AA Highway accidents claim two;
Suspects charged after Lions Club burglary; Tollesboro burglaries investsigated; Leo Club
has successful Sight Night.
- October 31, 2000: Beating death of Vanceburg man under
investigation; several join at Chamber meeting; Rock quarry now open for business; Photo
Catch; "big bug".
- October 24, 2000: Ground broken for rail spur; Veterans
Day ceremony planned; Flight of the Asian Lady Beetle; Jim Shelton commissioned a Kentucky
- October 17, 2000: Gas rate increases 25%; Chamber of
Commerce now seeking members; Magistrates hear child restraint request; School board hears
test results; Vanceburg home damaged by fire.
- October 10, 2000: City Council adopts child restraint
policy; Sheriff's office receives grant; Sight Night gives trick or trating a new focus;
Meeting held on tobacco money; Coroplast ground breaking.
- October 3, 2000: Vanceburg named Renaissance Community;
Coroplast expansion begins; Plans in the works for Chamber of Commerce; Magistrates
approve bids, set meeting time; Police Report: Fire at Little Cabin Creek, Accident
injures Garrison man, Tollesboro burglary.
- September 26, 2000: High winds cause damage; Utility
board approves bids; Remains identified; Police Report: 6 injured in accident near Quincy,
Hit & run on Route 9, ATV theft in Tollesboro.
- September 19, 2000: Magistrates set tax rates; City
Council sets tax rates; Police Report: Remains found on riverbank, Burtonville attempted
burglary, Meadowbrook accident; Photo Catches: Foster "Sid" Meade AVEC parade
float, Miss Teen Lewis County 2000 Tiffany Haitz, wild turkeys.
- September 12, 2000: Pageants will have Olympic theme;
School Fair Parade to remain Saturday event; Police Report: Stolen truck recovered, Arrest
made in Garrison burglary; Photo Catch: turkey buzzard.
- September 5, 2000: Quincy accident claims life of father
and son; Teens charged in burglaries; Red Cross seeks chapter in Lewis County.
- August 29, 2000: Parade supporters want return of Friday
activities; Rash of burglaries being investigated; Man arrested following chase; LCHS
- August 22, 2000: One charged with marijuana cultivation;
Magistrates discuss mobile home park; TCS students to ride Lewis Co. school buses; Police
& Fire: Theft at construction site, Three arrested folowing fight, Car fire in
- August 15, 2000: MDS volunteers honored; Chamber of
Commerce may be formed; Candidates file for council, school board seats; Photo Catches:
Robert Nash's canteloupes, Jo Anne Tolle's cactus, new county road grader.
- August 8, 2000: Dr. Talley honored; Escapee apprehended
near Concord; Police Report: Cedar Hill burglary and three charged in prescription case;
Photo Catches: Jim Bob McGlone honored; cows under a tree, hornets nest.
- August 1, 2000: Local water projects have ceremonies;
Logging accident claims life of Vanceburg man; Police Report: Scaffold Lick burglary,
injury accident on Rt. 3037; Photo Catches: historic step and a groundhog.
- July 25, 2000: Magistrates set flood pay; Sheriff Lewis
explains ATV law; Police Reports: Two charged in Black Oak burglaries, Three injured at AA
and 59, Pizza truck overturns; Cross country mower trip.
- July 18, 2000: School board hears request for bus
service; Electric Plant board adopts procurement code; Photo Catches: Lewis County Farmers
Market grand opening, and controlled burn house fire on Flinders Drive.
- July 11, 2000: Three petitions presented to Fiscal
Court; City Council accepts gift of bridge; mobile home fire in Camp Dix and accident on
Happy Hollow; Photo catches: Clete Zornes BBQ, and Tollesboro parade horses.
- July 4, 2000: City Council meets in special session;
Trial continued for Sonny Landham; Burglaries in western Lewis County; Photo catches: bees
and a bat.
- June 27, 2000: Eye exams now law; Electric Plant Board
hears project updates; Accidents at St. Paul and Firebrick under investigation; Photo
Catches: tobacco growing; ironworkers at Justice Center; hummingbird.
- June 20, 2000: School workers to get 7% pay raise;
Magistrates adopt 2000-2001 budget; Little League wraps up successful season; Photo
Catches: accident at Super Quik, accident at Bivens' car wash, farmers market opens.
- June 13, 2000: Coroplast will locate at Black Oak
Industrial Park and related stories; Police Report: dirt bike stolen, two face marijuana
charges, stolen property recovered; Photo Catch: sturgeon caught at mouth of Kinney.
- June 6, 2000: Renaissance application completed; Annex
groundbreaking held; Police Report: Quincy residents evacuated, AA Highway accident,
Vanceburg man charged, Super Quik burglary; Photo Catches: Gary Kidwell award; Fair
Housing poster winners; VFW Memorial Day wreath; ironworkers position beam at annex
- May 30, 2000: Committee works to complete Renaissance
application; Annex ceremony set; Webb, Duvall win Primary; Photo Catches of the Week: fire
at Triple D Lumber Company, squirrel of a different color; Damon Robinson's first turkey,
Eric McCane's catfish.
- May 23, 2000: Relay for Life; Everman Lumber Company
fire; Police Report: truck fire and Tollesboro burglary; Classroom telephones to be
installed; Photo Catches: Best of the Class 2000, Michael Tucker places at FBLA state
competition, striping at Lions Lane and AA Highway, construction at Happy Hollow Union
- May 16, 2000: Record setting County budget proposed;
County schools receive 12 grants; Police report: Malone sentenced in triple murder, one
injured in AA accident; Cameras to provide security at LCHS; Photo Catches: JROTC
rappelling, Clarksburg Christian Church construction, Roscoe Bivens' strange rock, flowers
and landscaping at Vanceburg entrances.
- May 9, 2000: City Council sets clean-up week; Partners
in Education appreciation day; Police Report: more marijuana plants and truck theft; Photo
Catches: Lions honor E.V. Holder, azaleas at Cunningham home
- May 2, 2000: Hundreds apply for job opportunities; E.V.
Holder honored; Police Report: Garrison marijuana arrest and car theft; Photo Catches: new
village sign, Lvangle Gilliam's tulip garden, Barbara Bryant's giant morel, James Brown's
- April 26, 2000: Deadly week on the AA; Application for
rail spur funding; Glenmary Farm fixture to be moving on; Local association providing
Questions or comments? E-mail Us:
Lewis County Herald ( firstname.lastname@example.org )